The Play by the Rules magazine is a free online magazine for people interested in safe, fair and inclusive sport issues. The magazine comes in three different formats - a Flip Book with embedded media, a PDF version with links and a plain text version. The Flip Book version of each magazine is only available for 12 months following publication.
In each Issue there are news updates, feature articles and Play by the Rules course and resource profiles. Take a look below for the latest Issue and all back Issues - there are some great articles and resources to access in this growing library. The best way to keep up-to-date is to subscribe to Play by the Rules and you'll be notified when new Issues are ready.
Issue 26: September 2018
Feature articles include:
- Standing up and speaking out about racism in sport
- An uncomfortable truth
- Racial discrimination: Moving beyond legal compliance to inclusion
Issue 25: June 2018
- How to sort fact from fiction. Exploring the challenges involved in uncovering the truth and getting it right when it matters most
- Pressure - an intangible element with a palpable impact
- Playing by the rules off the field
Issue 24: March 2018
- Norway leads the medal tally with low-stress junior sport approach
- Putting 'us' ahead of 'me'
- eSafety and sport: Using technology to best advantage
- Dispute resolution in sport
Issue 23: December 2017
- Sustainable pathway for gymnasts with disability
- Moving kids off the sidelines and into the main game
- Clubs provide a haven for kids who just want to be part of a team
- Liability in grass roots sport in Australia
Issue 22: September 2017
- Forget about the winning, just let the kids play
- 7 tips for good governance
- Creating welcoming environments
- What you need to know about performance enhancing drugs
- Sport-related concussion: Public trust in a safe sporting system
Issue 21: June 2017
- Governance is just a word for doing business better - 7 tips for good governance in sporting organisations
- The mercy rule in children's sport - help of hindrance?
- When under the microscope - how we express ourselves is important
Issue 20: March 2017
- The day a dad ruined junior football
- Kids call timeout on poor sideline behaviour
- The ride home
- Poor sideline behaviour - what steps can you take?
Issue 19: December 2016
- Breaking down the barriers to participation
- Keeping sport safe, fair and inclusive - Play by the Rules 2016 year in review
- Tips and tricks for developing and implementing a Member Protection Policy and other organisational policies
Issue 18: October 2016
- Sports safe haven for refugee's
- How parents are excluding kids form sport
- 'Losers have meetings, winners have parties'
- Responsibilities and liabilities surrounding the transmission of blood borne infectious diseases in sport
Issue 17: August 2016
- Just be there to cheer
- When size doesn’t fit the age
- Whingeing or taking a stand?
- Family law and Domestic Violence Orders – what should a sporting organisation do?